The Way of the Future

The Way of the Future
We are the 21st Century Teachers

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

September Snapshot

So far we have had a month filled with lessons, lectures, group projects, fieldwork, and TECHNOLOGY, TECHNOLOGY, TECHNOLOGY! Dr. S sure does love to integrate that into her grad classes, but, as we know now we MUST be able to use technology to our advantage in order to teach in the 21st century.

I feel like I have learned so much already in such a short time. Even though I took curricular planning,( which I thought drilled the MSMC lesson plan format in our heads) there is so much I have yet to learn! In methods, I feel like I am learning why we do what we do when it comes to lesson planning. I never knew there were so many different approaches, methods, strategies etc when it comes to choosing how to effectively teach a lesson. However, it makes sense. We want our students to benefit the most they can to what we are teaching right? Well, then we need to know how to do it right and why. It almost is as if we are learning the "behind the scenes" to lesson planning. I am excited to use this knowledge when actually writing my lessons this semester.

Since I am fortunate enough to be already working in an elementary school and teach I feel blessed that I am able to see so many teachers and their ways of teaching and compare it to what we are learning in class. There are so many different ways teachers use to motivate, gain attention, teach, and evaluate students. I am using this resource as a learning experience all in itself.

Not only am I learning from Dr.S and my real life experience, I am getting to collaborate with others that have such a great deal of knowledge of their own. It has been great to work with Sally, Wendy, and Kelly on our drill and practice lesson for the class. We had a lot of fun getting creative, but at the same time really learned the importance of drill and practice. It made us all think back to our years in school, and the types of lessons that our teachers did or did not use with us.

Bottomline is I want to be able to become an expert when it comes to the methods of teaching. I feel confident that I will not only learn a great deal during this semester from Dr. S, but also from my classmates, and fieldwork experiences. Wish me luck!

Pam :)

No comments:

Post a Comment